Watermelon, basil, salt and chilli granita
Perfect for the hotter weather, this is always a big crowd please. Try this one out before watermelon goes out of season.
- ½ watermelon, skin removed and flesh cut into chunks
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Place all ingredients (reserving 1/3 of the basil leaves) into a food processor and blend until the mixture has a pulpy consistency.
2. Pour mixture into a tray (I used a loaf pan) through a sieve, pressing the contents through well to get as much liquid as possible. Discard the remaining solids.
3. Carefully transfer the tray to the freezer and freeze for 4 hours. Once it has become firm, use a fork to scrape the granita into a snow-like consistency. You should only need to do this at the end, but it doesn’t hurt to do it at the 2-3 hour mark just in case.
4. To serve, give the mixture a good scrape to fluff it up, then spoon into serving bowls and stir through a good pinch of the reserved basil leaves, and sprinkle with a little dried chilli flakes.