Next time you’re cutting up a pumpkin, save the seeds and give them a good wash. These roast up nice and crunchy and are a great source of zinc and protein. Add some chickpeas to make it go further – another wonderful source of zinc and protein.
You can add whatever flavours you like – I like a mix of spices, but you could also do a salt and vinegar blend, a simple dried herb mix or a bit of soy sauce.
Roast Pumpkin seeds with Crispy Chickpeas
- Reserved seeds from a pumpkin, washed.
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp spices (I don’t measure them, but give a few shakes of whatever I feel like on the day. My favourite combination is garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and cumin).
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas
- Add the pumpkin seeds to a small bowl with the rinsed chickpeas.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and add the spices to your taste. Add a good pinch of salt if desired, and stir through
- Spread the chickpeas and seeds onto a tray lined with baking paper and transfer to the oven
- You may need to stir the chickpeas and seeds once depending on your oven
- When they are crispy and golden, approx. 20-30 minutes, take them out of the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- They are delicious warm but can be kept in an airtight jar for a couple of days.