- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoons fine-grain sea salt
- 1 cup / 6.5 oz / 185 g quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup / 1 oz / 30g dried currants
- 1 lemon
- 2 sm-med zucchini, grated on box grater
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- feta cheese, crumbled – as much or as little as you like
To make the quinoa, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add most of the green onions, a pinch of the salt, and cook until the onions soften, just a couple minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains dry out and toast a bit, roughly another 3 minutes. Add the water, the currants, the remaining salt; bring to a boil. Dial back the heat and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is just cooked through- 15 minutes or so. Be mindful here, you don’t want to overcook the quinoa, and have it go to mush.
While the quinoa is cooking zest the lemon, and squeeze 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into a small bowl.
When the quinoa is cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the zucchini, lemon juice and zest, most of the sesame seeds, and most of the dill. Taste and adjust for salt.
Serve, turned out onto a platter, topped with crumbled feta, and the remaining green onions, sesame seeds, and dill.
Makes 6 servings