Guest Post by Angela Hall
Most parents find it uncomfortable to talk about sexuality with their children. Aside from being a sensitive topic, talking about sexuality at such a young age can be a real challenge for parents.
However, it is still the responsibility of parents to teach their kids about sex and sexuality. Approaching this sensitive topic in an age-appropriate way can be tricky.
How To Talk To Your Kids About Safe Sex
Your children may mention that they already know some facts about sex. But it is still crucial to tell them that they are not fully informed about sex and its potential health risks. Your children should have you as their efficient source of information about this topic. The following are key tips on how to teach your kids about safe sex.
- Be truthful about safe sex
- You must also practice safe sex before approaching your children about it
- Do not take your children’s questions for granted. Listen to their questions and answer them honestly and calmly
- Take note of topics that are best to have a conversation with your kids. These include birth control, STDs and their prevention, rape, and other matters regarding sexuality. Utilize age-appropriate books that openly talk about reproduction health
- Watch TV or movies with your kids. This is another opportunity for your kids to ask questions and initiate a conversation about sexuality.
- Try to gain access to sex education books and other materials to help you explain to your kids the significance of safe sex to their general well-being.
- Ensure that the topic concerning sex and sexuality starts at home. This way, you can guide them through their ideas and inquiries.
- It is essential to encourage curiosity with your kids. That way, you become aware of their thoughts, and it opens doors for opportunities to amend any wrong insights or perceptions concerning sex.
Your Goal As Parents
Remember that your goal as a parent is to guide your kids in the direction of having a healthy and safe sexual relationship when they reach adulthood. Try to subdue the series of silence and begin the first move in addressing the issues about safe sex and sexuality.
- It is your role as a parent: You should not have anything to worry about since being a parent is the best position to take the role of advocating sexual health to your children. Thus, you should never be doubtful to communicate with your kids more often.
- Think of creative ways: There is not an exact way to begin the conversation about sexuality. It can be a method of trial and error, but thinking of creative ways to open up the issue of sex in a manner they will easily understand would be beneficial.
We hope that you can finally initiate the discussion with your kids about sex and sexuality successfully with the help of the tips we have provided. Eventually, excellent communication with your kids is crucial. When you are able to communicate openly, it only signifies straightforwardness and openness.
Teaching your kids about safe sex and sexuality is an opportunity to prevent them from sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and have a healthy sexual relationship over time. Meanwhile, you can have yourself tested at an STD Testing Austin to ensure your sexual health and inform you of the potential risks of STDs.
Angie is a health enthusiast who specialises in spreading STD education across the country and shares them on Priority STD Testing’ website. She enjoys what she does and loves to travel to different areas. She loves to write for websites and is a family girl at heart.